This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
CoinMarketCap is a website that provides cryptocurrency market cap rankings, charts, and more. Their website tracks capitalization of various cryptocurrencies by listing prices, available supply (amount of coins/tokens that is currently in circulation), trade volume over last 24 hours, or market capitalizations. The website has historical snapshots, currency converter calculator, crypto glossary, API service, events calendar, and offers a watchlist for users to personalize. The website also has a special cryptocurrency price ticker widget for other sites. The website is aggregating prices of cryptocurrencies and calculating price averages that are displayed to users.
The page provides various data about several listed coins, such as their price, available supply, trade volume over the last 24 hours or market capitalization. The statistics are updated every 5 minutes. Market capitalization is calculated by multiplying the price by circulating supply. Prices are calculated by averaging the prices at the major exchanges weighted by volume. Coins with stale datapoints (more than 6 hours old) are shown at the bottom of the list with question marks and are de-listed after a grace period.
Cryptocurrencies can only be purchased on exchanges, that can be both, decentralized or centralized in nature. However, since no exchange is superior to the other, a fair price of a cryptocurrency is the average price it is traded on a range of exchanges. The service is calculating that average price.
As of December 2018, there are more than 2,000 cryptocurrencies listed on the website. CoinMarketCap provides the current price, the market capitalization and volume data for every cryptocurrency, as well as historical data and charts. As of early 2018, the site has well beyond 100 million monthly page visits.
Addition of new coins
For a coin to be added it must meet the following criteria:
- It must be a cryptocurrency
- It must be traded publicly, and actively traded on at least two (2) exchanges that are supported on the service and with an API available.
- It must have a public URL that displays the total supply (total coins mined so far).
- If the cryptocurrency is an exchange-based token only traded on its own exchange, we may add it given that off-platform withdrawals are possible.
Note that these are only necessary conditions and meeting them does not guarantee a listing.
These tabs help to explore the cryptocurrency in more detail.
- Charts – chart of prices for the selected token, which are collected using the site and are given to the average value. Remember that this is the best price on the interval, it is unlikely that you will be able to buy bitcoins, altcoins or tokens on it. Why? These are prices for the past period, they are no more.
- Markets – a list of cryptocurrency exchanges where you can buy and sell tokens. Here are not all the existing trading platforms, but only those that are connected to the service and regularly synchronized with the database of the site. However, I recommend beginners to choose only those exchanges that are presented here. It's safer.
- Social – a selection of recent records from social networks, which includes the studied cryptocurrency. It is extremely useful for an investor to look into the Internet At the time of a sharp fall or rise in price in order to understand the reasons for this movement of the rate (and not to succumb to stupid throws).
- Tools – here you can get a free widget for the site, which will show the latest data about the token. An example of this widget you can see on the right side of our site – where the information about Bitcoin.
- Historical Data – records of quotes with the ability to sort by time intervals. The information can be useful if you want to check the correlation between several cryptocurrencies (later we will publish instructions on how to make it easier if you are creating an investment portfolio).
The service has official applications for iOS and Android platforms for easy access.
iOS App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coinmarketcap-com/id1282107098
Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coinmarketcap.android&hl=en_US
On top of current data, CoinMarketCap provides data for historical snapshots and overall market data about the total market capitalization of all cryptocurrencies and the dominance of individual cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin.
The service provides its own API for developers, that can be used for operating with price data in other applications or for embedding widgets.
Bitcoin price is available on the service. Other websites are able to use this widget powered by CoinMarketCap to improve their content.
- CoinMarketCap does not accept payments of any kind for listings and updates, but appreciates the donations.
- The service does not participate the insider token sale before their listing.
- Capitalization is determined in real time tracking the addresses that the site considers out of circulation, and subtracting the remnants of these addresses from the total offer. The collection and verification of this information take a lot of time and that is why indicators of market capitalization are not posted on the site immediately.
- CMC does not update the information until verification by the project developers or exchange representatives. Sometimes the official news or whitepaper is not enough because the information can be outdated or incorrect.