Elizabeth Stark was born on March 29, 1981. She was raised in Brooklyn, New York, but split her time there and San Francisco, California. She has also worked and lived in Berlin, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Singapore. Stark speaks four languages fluently: English, French, German, and Portuguese.
Elizabeth holds a BA from Brown University in International Business and a J.D. from Harvard University Law School. While at Harvard, Elizabeth was an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Technology. She operated with the Harvard Advocates to promote human rights. From there she founded the Harvard Free Culture Group and sat on the board for Students for Free Culture. She focused her free time on creative works and the promotion of human rights. Stark also worked for Harvard’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society, while completing her J.D.
Elizabeth is currently CEO of Lightning Labs, an organization that aims to scale blockchains. Lightning Labs is better known as Lightning Network that enables cheaper, faster Bitcoin payments. She has developed technology to help offload the transaction process from Bitcoin's main network. Stark also, taught at Stanford and Yale where her students studied peer-to-peer technology, privacy, open-source software, and memes. Stark is also a co-founder of the Open Video Alliance, which seeks to support innovation and free expression in online video.
Awards & Achievements
Elizabeth is a world-renowned blockchain entrepreneur, educator, and internet advocate. Stark is also an active contributor to the bitcoin community and mentors many new start-ups ranging in Blockchain technologies. She additionally works with Coin Center, the leading non-profit research that concentrates on the public policy challenging cryptocurrency and decentralized computing technologies. Stark plays a helpful role in the Internet freedom effort by engaging over 18 million people worldwide.
See Also on BitcoinWiki
- Burdette, K. (2018, July 23). Elizabeth Stark. Retrieved April 6, 2021, from https://fortune.com/the-ledger-40-under-40/2018/elizabeth-stark/
- Coin Desk. (2020, June 02). Elizabeth Stark. Retrieved April 6, 2021, from https://www.coindesk.com/people/elizabeth-stark
- Crunch Base. (n.d.). Elizabeth Stark - Cofounder and CEO @ Lightning Labs - Crunchbase Person Profile. Retrieved April 6, 2021, from https://www.crunchbase.com/person/elizabeth-stark
- Learn about Elizabeth Stark. (n.d.). Retrieved April 6, 2021, from https://www.famousbirthdays.com/people/elizabeth-stark.html
- Lightning Labs, I. (n.d.). Our Team. Retrieved April 6, 2021, from https://lightning.engineering/team/