This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
This is an independent project. It exists thanks to the active members of the cryptocurrency community.BitcoinWiki now has 6,591 articles in English.
On 18 August 2008, the domain name bitcoin.org was registered.
Later that year on October 31st, a link to a paper authored by Satoshi Nakamoto titled Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System was posted to a cryptography mailing list. On the 9th of November, the Bitcoin project was registered at the open-source-projects community resource, SourceForge.net.
How much was bitcoin worth in 2009? The value of the first bitcoin transactions were negotiated by individuals on the bitcoin forum with one notable transaction of 10,000 BTC used to indirectly purchase two pizzas delivered by Papa John's. This was the only major security flaw found and exploited in bitcoin's history. Based on bitcoin's open source code, other cryptocurrencies started to emerge.
On June 13th, 2011 the first bitcoin theft occured. User allinvain reported 25 thousand coins (375 thousands USD) were stolen.
Through the time, number of businesses accepting bitcoin continues to increase. In January 2017, NHK reported the number of online stores accepting bitcoin in Japan had increased 4.6 times over the past year. BitPay CEO Stephen Pair declared the company's transaction rate grew 3× from January 2016 to February 2017, and explained usage of bitcoin is growing in B2B supply chain payments. In 2017 Bitcoin gains more legitimacy among lawmakers and legacy financial companies. For example, Japan passed a law to accept bitcoin as a legal payment method, and Russia has announced that it will legalize the use of cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin. And Norway’s largest online bank, Skandiabanken, integrates bitcoin accounts.
To see Bitcoin price since 2009 to 2017 and 2018, Bitcoin price charts click read more.
- Main article: Bitcoin history
- The first online purchase using bitcoin was performed by Laszlo Hanyecz in 2010. He bought Papa John's pizza for 10,000 coins (25 USD – Bitcoin value was 0.0025 cents for 1 coin).
- The real name of the Bitcoin developer remains unrevealed to this day.
- On January 19, 2014, a fundraiser was established by the Dogecoin community to raise $50,000 for the Jamaican Bobsled Team, which had qualified for, but could not afford to go to, the Sochi Winter Olympics. By the second day, $36,000 worth of Dogecoin was donated and the Dogecoin to Bitcoin exchange rate rose by 50%.
- No more than 21 million Bitcoins will ever be created.
- There are currently more than 2000 cryptocurrencies.
- NFT is a unique digital token based on smart contracts and blockchain. NFTs can be used as a means to claim rights for digital objects. NFTs mainly exist on the Ethereum...read more
- NFT games are online games that use NFTs as collectibles, avatars, virtual pets, or in-game items. As a business, NFT games provide...read more
- Axie Infinity is an NFT-based online game, which uses Ethereum-based cryptocurrencies. The main purpose of Axie Infinity...read more
- The Sandbox is an NFT-based virtual world where players can build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences on...read more
- Rarible is the first community-owned NFT Marketplace. It was launched in 2020. As of April 2022, Rarible supports Ethereum, Flow, Tezos, and Polygon in beta...read more
- OpenSea is the first public NFT marketplace. OpenSea allows users to search, browse and buy NFTs in different categories. Popular NFT collections such as Bored Ape Yacht Club, Azuki and CryptoPunks are available for purchase on OpenSea...read more
- Solana is a blockchain and an ecosystem of dApps. It uses the Proof-of-stake (PoS) consensus algorithm along with the Proof of Histo...read more
- Terra LUNA is a native coin of Terra, the blockchain that lets users create stablecoins fixed to real-world currencies...read more