Whalesburg r.s.o. or Whalesburg is a private company registered in 2017 with the headquarters in Czech Republic and offices in Russia. The company provides the service of ETHash mining pool/
"Whalesburg" is a mining pool for ETHash algorithm-based cryptocurrencies with an automated blockchain-switching algorithm. According to the pool’s developers, the main advantage of the pool is its profitability increased by 15% compared to other ETHash pools due to:
- Profit-switching algorithm, based on the game theory, which automatically switches to the most profitable coin at a given moment
- Original PPLNS reward-distributing module, which applies to the entire algorithm. The pool converts the rewards for every coin’s mined block into ETH and distributes the reward between the miners using the PPLNS method. It is an original scheme designed by Whalesburg.
- The lowest uncle rate (9% against 35%) among existing mining pools, which amplifies the block reward.
Besides the list above Whalesburg, according to the developers, has a number of advantages before other mining platforms. Among them are:
- transparent payouts system without latent fees
- pool stats in public access
- intuitive interface with elaborate miner’s stats
- platform commission ranging from 0.9% to 3% depending on miner’s rank
- lowered commissions and other bonuses are available for the participants of the partnership program complete certification in the EU and an option of signing a Terms and Conditions user agreement.
The pool provides multiple options for control on the miner’s side. Thus, the latter can:
- track his/her block reward
- see how much commission he/she payed
- see how many coins were among between other miners
- see the wallets that were involved in the ongoing round.
The mining pool was launched only in the beginning of 2018 and has only six coins on the ETHash algorithm available for mining: ETH, ETC, UBQ, ELLA, EXP, PIRL. The development team declares its regard to the community’s suggestions and is working on the expansion on the list of coins available for mining. At the stage prior to the launch of the pool the developers mentioned the expansion of the list of working algorithms starting with Equihash, X11 and CryptoNight and up to SHA256. However, the pool is still working only with the coins of ETHash. Due to being relatively young the pool does not have large computational capacities compared to the industry giants. Still, the pool’s hash is growing steadily.
Technologies and nuances of Whalesburg
The efficiency of Whalesburg pool compared to other ETH pools is based on the optimization of connection and the ways of working with the nodes. As a result, the Whalesburg team declares it has decreased the uncle rate of ETH mining to 9% and that of ETC mining to 2%, which is the main reason for the increased profitability of the pool.
The pool is equipped with an automated system for partial or complete relocation of the hashrate in real time to other blockchains available for operation in case of market cryptocurrency rates fluctuations or increase/decrease of mining difficulty. It guarantees an optimal distribution of power with no need for manual equipment control on the miner’s side. Distributing the reward Whalesburg uses the Advanced PPLNS scheme which applies to the entire algorithm.
All the mined coins are momentarily converted into ETH, which secures the miner’s profits in case of market downfall. When the conversion is done, the reward is distributed among all miners of the pool. In the case of several cryptocurrencies being mined simultaneously the reward is distributed among all participants of the pools regardless of which blockchain their equipment was working on. This system allows to neutralise the concept of mining a particular coin with manual switching offering instead an automated mining process with a higher profitability.
Team and development
The pool started to work actively in the beginning of 2017. Whalesburg has its own full-cycle development team (including the developers’ blockchain). In total, a team comprised of over 20 people is working on the technical side of the project.
The development started from zero with regard to the latest advances in the area of blockchain development and industry requirements to mining. In 2018, besides the launch of the pool the development team made a number of its own instruments and technical solutions for working with nodes and blockchain stats. Also, the team developed its own proxy, API, Telegram bot for managing the mining rig, PPLNS-based payouts system and other instruments. On its back end the project uses Golang and Ruby and on React.js on its front end. In the future, the list of its own development products is going to be supplemented with a miner autoswitching between algorithms and expanded system of equipment for the professionals.